February 11, 2013

Ramblings/Breakfast for Supper-Burnt Biscuits

Around this town;

*I was beginning to get worried about the guy at the Mickey D's in North Florence, but he was back yesterday. I do not remember seeing him at all in the mornings last week. He was there around four yesterday. I am glad he was back.
*Still wondering why T&G took Tinker's place on QLT in the morning.
*I am ready for J. O. to be back, also.
*The guy with the big nose was not in the Hardtimes this week; I hope he is alright. I think he must be homeless and is getting arrested for public intoxication and not paying his fines; that is why is is in there over and over. I'm just saying. I really don't know.
*Didn't see anyone over the week-end asking for money at any curbs.
That reminds me of what my son-in-law told me last week. I gave a guy the only dollar I had in my purse in the Walmart Parking lot. He was sitting on the curb close to the Garden Center. I went past him and then noticed he was putting is hand to his mouth, pretending to eat. This gesture meaning he needed food. I turned around and gave him the dollar. I would have given a five, but don't have cash hardly ever.
I was on my way to my daughter’s house when this happened, so of course I tell the story when I get to her house. My son-in-laws response to this was, "if you ever see me doing that, don't give me anything." He said that if he would have to have done something really bad, for his family to not be there to for him. It would have to be bad for my Nanny not to feed me. He has a point, but life does happen. We never know what we may need before we leave this world. "
Don't ever think you have it made."~~~Me
**********************
The story below is nothing like what would have went down if my mom had of burnt biscuits once. If Mama made biscuits chances are they would have been burnt every time. Daddy was not nice about anything she did cook; maybe that is why is chose to never get us a place to live when we ended up at Grandmother's. There were not many times that she had to totally cook a meal for him. There was a time that she did fix him chicken and dumplings. I know that they were terrible, but, really why did he throw a glass of tea and hit her in between the eyes. Drinking, or getting off a drunk was the excuse for that; that day. I watched this happen as a young girl with amazement, but not saying anything to him. In later years I would appreciate anything Mama did for me. She could cook my girls pancakes that they loved. They still talk about them today. She made them in shapes of animals. They probably just turned out that way, but she did anything they asked her to do. Daddy did not see that she really wanted to please. Grandmother made the biscuits and they were always great. We had breakfast for supper when we killed hogs. This was because there was fresh tenderloin to have gravy and biscuits with; eggs were not included in the meal. We had salmon, gravy and biscuits often, but there were no eggs. That made it not breakfast really. The story below is an example of how men should treat their wives and how people should really not sweat the small things. I can honestly say that pointing out mistakes in others is something I rarely do, even when mine are pointed out often. Really, if you have to belittle someone to be big you really aren't a big person, at all.

Burned Biscuits

When I was a kid, my mom liked to make breakfast food for ... dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that ugly burned biscuit. He ate every bite of that thing... never made a face nor uttered a word about it! When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits every now and then." Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!" As I've grown older, I've thought about that many times. Life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people. I'm not the best at anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults, and choosing to celebrate each other’s differences, is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today... that you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is

The base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or

Friendship!

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep

it in your own."

So, please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burned one will do just fine.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

No comments:

Post a Comment