July 15, 2011

Gather the Good and the Bad

When I talk of our family I mean not just my grandparents. I want the sweet wonderful great aunts to be where I came from. Their son's and daughters that thought of us often and knew my grandmother had her hands full.The family members that did well take great pride in the family name. Thing is the egos in our family have always been huge. It really didn't matter, everyone of them were proud of their name.
Back to the generation born in the late eighteen hundreds my grandfather and his son's took the cake. Mayorn and Nancy, my great-grandparents had nine children. Two sons and the rest were girls.One son Red was a somewhat of a drinker and mean but not to the extent that his brother Abe was. Abe being my daddy's father. This was the branch of the tree that was soaked with wildcat whiskey. My grandfather's sisters children that is where my family pride comes from; although not perfect, but good to me. It is really hard for me to not like someone that I can tell really likes me. That is what makes children better adults. Love and praise them and they want to do well. Love gives them reason to please and want to be better people.
Our family gene pool held many things that can make you excel in many ways. There was ego, passion, pride, good looks and the desire to have money. These things can be used for the betterment or the down fall of any person. What outsiders saw many times was the obvious. Sometime it was a drunken fit for the whole Corum Hollow to hear. Sometime it was a car ran in the ditch. Then there were a couple of fires. Oh yeah, and there were affairs. On a better note there was a good cotton crop, the church services we attended, how nice we looked in clothes that were handmade, and the help lent out to the struggling farmers surrounding our home.
We do come into the world as infants with a desire to be fed and held. This is the beginning of the human characteristic; putting self first. As we grow, live and learn thank goodness that most of us, realize that putting others first makes you feel good. Even the worst of the worst had their moments of giving me something that I could carry with me and use in a positive way. Watching them screw everything up, may have even been a good thing for me. I find humor in many of the things they did; although at the time it wasn’t all that funny.
I gathered wisdom from each of them. How people even when they seem terrible can make you forget the bad that they did by trying to make it right or look right. I repeat this often and here it is again, better than my words can express.......It is funny to me how many are quick to say they don’t care what others think seem to be the ones that try harder to impress people. kindle
**************************
We accidently ended up with one plant that was not our normal yellow squash. It somehow was a zucchini squash plant. This one plant has produced more than our favorite yellow squash. I have mixed it in with the yellow and even in with green tomatoes. I found this recipe that has helped not waste the zucchini that is really better than I ever imagined. I have this thing that I plant the things we did while I was growing up. This makes me realize that stepping out of my box is a good thing.
Zucchini Chips

1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
2 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
Cooking spray
Preparation
Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment