February 20, 2011

Shawnee Chief Flour

Shawnee Stomp Dance

Twenty-five pound bags, that is what we bought it in, the flour brand of chose of my grandmother. Shawnee Chief had an indian chief on the bag for sure. I need to check and see if it is still made today. The story of this is not just about a sack of flour. It was the place we bought it that was a community gathering spot. Edgar Newton's store. The building is still there. The building served also has the home for Sybil and Edgar Newton. Two strange people to say the least. Strange especially to nosey little skinny me. She had the biggest boobs I had ever seen. They started below her neck and went all the way to her waste. Laundry day was a trip for me passing by on my bicycle seeing those huge bras hanging on the line. She was evil to boot. She made us cry as children many times by just making fun of our family. She did not like my grandmother because she liked Uncle Luke. He was my grandmother's friend and brother in law. My grandfather had died and so had his sister. Uncle Luke was married to my grandfather's sister and after their deaths Grandmother and Uncle Luke went to chruch singings and out to the Fish Creel in Anderson to eat on Friday night. Syblil was constantly asking me if Uncle Luke was at the house.
I worked for Edgar in the sweet potatoe patch watering it. I would water for six hours back and forth with a water hose to soak down the plants. This watering was what made the slips vine to be transplanted. I would usually get paid ten dollars for spraying the beds for six hours.
The flour sat on the floor as you walked into the door of the store. I would purchase the flour at $2.63 that is the price I remember it being. Twenty five pound bag of flour at that price would make a lot of dumplings, biscuits and tea cakes. Oh, yeah there was also that great dob gravy that we had sometimes not just for breakfast. My grandmother had a gift of adding stuff to gravy that made it even better. She could put eggs in it and make it like you were eating the gravy on the eggs. She did this when there was only a couple of eggs, not enough for the six of us to have an egg. Then at times she put bologna in it. She would fry salmon patties and crumble them in gravy too. That tasted wonderful on a biscuit made with that flour with the Indian Cheif on the sack that came from the store of the big boobed Sybil Newton.

No comments:

Post a Comment