July 11, 2010

July Flies

While I was gathering life I also gathered bugs, frogs and even a snake or two. The maddest my daddy got at me once was because I caught a snake and put it in a gallon jug. My protest to him for catching it was, "it's just a little green snake." Daddy's was, "a snake is a snake." Nature has always been a great love of mine. The love of nature has made me forget many not so pleasant times. I love these bugs always have  always will. These were one of my biggest fasinations when we moved from up north. The memory of them is as warm and fuzzy to me as laying in front yard looking at the stars in the heat of the wonderful southern nights. I was so captivated by them that the shells were something I collected. I would get a big bowl and fill it up with the skeletons. Then there was the idea Daddy gave me. Tie a string to its leg and make believe it is a helicopter. That was almost as thrilling to me as catching lightening bugs. Lightening bugs were not as interesting to me at seven. I would gain my appreciation for really loving lightenbugs later. When I was older. The noise these bugs was a mistery to me for a while after we arrived here. I figured it out all by my little self. Well, one of them helped, I was always outside and saw with my own eyes him buzzing his body to make that un-canny noise. We got off the bus in Pulaski June 28th. This was probably the first songs of the year for the July Flies. The sound still reminds me of my first summer spent in the south. I had never heard anything close to that up-north. It sounded to me not produced by nature, more like an noise produced by machinery or electricity. I still note the day each year that I hear the first one. I saw a shell today and a corpse of one also. Seeing them today is not as common as when I was a child. Grandmother said they were like a grasshopper locust and only came in swarms every thirteen years. I read it was seventeen years. I do know that I have seen them in consecutive years; not just every thirteen years as some of my family had told me when I was a child. I also always thought, these were July Flies and that the green beatles were June-Bugs. The beatles I thought were June Bugs have been replaced by the small- evil- crepe mirtle-rose bush-eating Japenese beetle. I haven't seen the bigger version in a few years. Wonder what happened to them. Kinda like toad frogs very rarely do you see a run of the mill Toad Frog. I am still amazed how I never got warts. That must be something grown-ups said to keep girls like me from holding them.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 A cicada (pronounced /sɪˈkɑːdə/ or pronounced /sɪˈkeɪdə/) is an insect of the order Hemiptera, suborder Auchenorrhyncha, in the superfamily Cicadoidea, with large eyes wide apart on the head and usually transparent, well-veined wings. There are about 2,500 species of cicada around the world, and many remain unclassified. Cicadas live in temperate to tropical climates where they are among the most widely recognized of all insects, mainly due to their large size and remarkable acoustic talents. Cicadas are sometimes colloquially called "locusts",[1] although they are unrelated to true locusts, which are a kind of grasshopper. They are also known as "jar flies". Cicadas are related to leafhoppers and spittlebugs. In parts of the southern Appalachian Mountains in the United States, they are known as "dry flies" because of the dry shell that they leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment